Your garden might be more cramped than you'd like, but there's an easy fix. Check out our guide on getting more space from garden with a vertical planter. Continue reading this article on vertical gardening.
Do you live in an apartment or a home with a small or no yard?
Have you considered having a garden but decided you don't have enough space?
If so, your dreams of using your green thumb aren't out of reach!
Not all gardens need a lot of space. No matter how small your home is, a vertical planter is always an option.
What does this mean?
It means you can be one of the 45 million (and growing!) at-home gardeners.
Continue reading to learn about vertical gardens and the benefits they provide.
Vertical Gardens 101
A vertical garden can be used to grow vegetables, fruits, herbs, and flowers.
There is no wrong or right way to build a vertical garden.
All that matters is that the garden is properly supported!
Most plants can grow vertically, but plants that naturally vine and/or climb are ideal. These include:
Flowering vines are also perfect for a vertical garden.
For your garden to be a success, sticking to the basics is key.
You must have soil (unless you plan to grow hydroponically!), water, and proper sunlight.
If you have an empty wall in or outside of your home, why wouldn’t you create a vertical garden?
You will be able to literally sow the benefits!
Benefits You Can See and Taste
Vertical gardens are more than empty space fillers!
What else can a vertical garden provide aside from an added touch of nature and color?
Plenty! Benefits include:
- Money savings! When done properly, growing your own food at home can save you up to $24,000 a year.
- Portable. Unlike a normal garden, with a vertical garden, your plants can be easily moved and rearranged.
- Maintainable. There’s no digging, weeding or mulching here! All you need to do is plant, water and watch the plants grow.
- All natural produce. Controlling the soil and products used to grow the plants means all natural food! There is no need to worry about chemicals, such as pesticides, that may be harmful.
- Pure enjoyment! Who doesn’t enjoy watching their hard work turn into something beautiful? Gardening is not only self-fulfilling, it’s relaxing and stress-relieving.
Now that we’ve convinced you, let’s talk about using the space you’ve got to the biggest advantage.
Selecting the Perfect Location
Vertical gardens are super versatile. You can count on finding the perfect spot no matter how small your area is.
Small patio? Create a vertical garden of stacked pots. Herbs, flowers and small produce are best. A raised garden box also works well.
Looking to transform a bare fence? Wood scraps are ideal for a DIY vertical garden!
Even the smallest area, such as a windowsill, can be a garden oasis.
All you need are small pots and herbs!
Don’t let small spaces keep you from planting a garden. Embrace your new BFF, a vertical planter!
Put Your Green Thumb to Good Use with a Vertical Planter
Are you ready to start your vertical garden?
With warmer weather, now is a great time to grab your gloves and start planting.
To make the process super easy, check out our gardening tips and ideas! We’re all about giving you a helping hand.
Need Garden Care Advice?
You’ve come to the right place. We offer garden care tips, product reviews, and more to help you maintain your garden.